Since 1924, Camp Harmony has been owned by the Western Pennsylvania District Church of the Brethren.  

The initial energy for the development of Camp Harmony was a petition to the District Board of Religious Education from a group of girls from Juniata College during the winter of 1922-23.  The petition requested a "girls camp in 1923."  The Board asked them to wait one year to have time to prepare for such a camp.  After a thorough search through Fayette, Westmoreland, Cambria and Somerset counties, it was agreed to purchase "Camp Harmony" which had been the summer home of the Swank family of Johnstown for thirty years.  The family owned and operated a number of businesses in the Johnstown area including a hotel and tannery, a hardware store, and most notably produced pottery and ceramics.  An agreement was entered into on December 30, 1923 to purchase Camp Harmony, consisting of approximately 19 acres for $8,000.  The deed was delivered on February 5, 1924.  After the formation of a corporation to hold the property in trust for the Church of the Brethren and the selection of the initial Board of Trustees, the charter was granted on March 3, 1924.

The first Older Girl's Camp Conference, know as the "Founders", began on July 21, 1924 and lasted for 10 days.  The first Older Boys' Camp Conference, known as the "Trailblazers", followed in August 1924.  Thus, the first Church of the Brethren camp was begun!